Sunday, October 18, 2009

Freecycle

I am a major supporter of thrift stores. I love the treasure hunt they become, and I love the prices. I've picked up some really old cameras, old school Nintendo games, records [more so when I was a DJ], furniture and items for costume parties.

Whenever I go clothes shopping, I come home and make a thrift store pile to exchange say, 3 old things for the 3 new things I just bought. Of course it always ends up that I donate more than just an equal amount to my new purchases...or if I don't have a significant amount of stuff to donate I wait or ask friends if they want to add anything to my donation pile.

Anyway, back to the treasure hunt aspect of it all. There is a website out there that is the online version of thrift stores! It's called Freecycle and it's like trash picking on the internet. They want to give items a few more lives before they end up in the dumpster just because the owner doesn't want them anymore. So next time you come up empty handed after a thrift store visit or dumpster diving, go to Freecycle!

2 comments:

  1. Freecycling is a great idea; however, the Freecycle Network is no longer grassroots. The organization has been taken over by a Board of Directors of 3 people in the USA.

    The organization, at the top level, has developed many corporate imposed rules, some of which do not work for all areas. Some of the rules are very restrictive on what you can post and what you can ask for.

    For a more grassroots, Community Owned and Operated ecycling group, please check out The ReUseIt Network.

    At ReUseIt all groups are 100% community owned and operated; therefore, every group reflects and allows what works in that community.

    For a more relaxed approach, please join the ReUseIt Network at www.reuseitnetwork.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how it said ReUseIt takes items that are not necessarily in working condition. This is good for all the people out there who know an item isn't doomed for the trash just because something is wrong with it, or beyond their ability to repair. Thank you for your comment and I appreciate the link!

    ReplyDelete