Sunday, November 8, 2009

The High Line

Upon saying good bye while visiting a friend on his lunch break in NYC, he asked me which way I was headed. I explained and he told me I should take the High Line instead of the route I was about to take. I was a bit confused, but after some explanation I was practically running to check the High Line out.

From the 1930's to 1980 the High Line was used to separate freight trains from the street level. Since lengthy structure hasn't been used in ages, it was under the threat of demolition. Some folks decided that it would make the perfect above street level park, for people to get away from the bustle of their walk down the West Side. For the entire history (which is very fascinating) click here.

While I was strolling about in awe, I took some photos with my cell phone.



You can see some of the old tracks are still there...





These were ingenious lounge "chairs" that I wish moved a little farther than they did. Still very awesome though.




This dreadfully blurry image was to just show the contrast of park and city.




You can see more photos at the High Line website, along with sketches for future sections of the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment